When heavy thunderstorms plow through your neighborhood, the aftermath may reveal a damaged roof. Heavy winds and rain are the natural enemies of roofs, and yours may need to be repaired.
Work with a Professional
Follow these guidelines when you have roof storm damage from thunderstorms or hail:
Work with professional roofing contractors. The National Roofing Contractors Association suggests you only work with contractors who:
- Are licensed, in states where licensing is required
- Have a permanent place of business so they can respond to problems that may arise later
- Have evidence of general liability and workers compensation insurance
- Are approved by roofing material manufacturers to provide roof warranties
- Belong to local, state or national trade associations
- Work directly with your insurance provider. Don’t fall victim to contractors who ask you to sign over your insurance rights and tell you they will “take care of everything.” A professional roofing contractor can help you manage a claim, and provide you with repair options, but should not act on your behalf.
If your damaged roof is under a manufacturer’s warranty, a professional roofing contractor can help you manage the claims process. Many manufacturer warranties contain exclusions for excessive winds; most will require that repairs be done only be contractors approved by the manufacturer.
Employees or Sub-Contractors
Make sure the workers on your roof are employees of the roofing contractor. Many contractors use “independent contractors” or “subcontractors” to do their roofing work; too often they are not properly trained – or even insured.
Professional contractors will gladly provide you with a list of their customers. Be wary of contractors who won’t.
Choose Roof Authority as Your Roofing Contractor
Choosing a reliable roofing contractor for your home is extremely important, especially when you have roof storm damage. Your roof is one of the most important components of your home. Hiring a professional roofing contractor who has a great reputation is the best way to ensure that the project goes as planned. Call Roof Authority today.