Tropical storm Zeta recently left widespread damage and power outages throughout metro Atlanta. And the storm probably took a toll on your roof, as well. It’s important to identify roof damage as soon as possible. Regular roof inspections are a must after every major weather event. And the simplest steps are to look for the signs of roof damage, like cracks in caulking, peeling, blistering, shingles curling and other visual clues. Pay attention to areas around the perimeter, near gutters, as well.
Visual Clues of Roof Damage
These are some the typical signs of roof damage you’ll see when performing a visual inspection.
- Missing sections of roofing materials. If pieces of roofing material are missing or no longer look uniform, then the roof has been compromised.
- Loose roofing tiles, membranes, or other materials. If you notice areas of the roof are loose and slide easily, there is a problem.
- Signs of mold, mildew, or moss growing on the roof. This indicates excess moisture due to shaded areas with little sunlight. The moisture eventually compromises the roof system and creates a leak.
- Standing pools of water on the roof. When water cannot drain away and sits on top of roofing materials, it can and will cause damage.
- Blisters and bubbles forming under roofing materials. This an indicator that moisture is trapped between the roofing layers
Visual Clues Not Always Fool Proof
But finding roof damage can be tricky at times. While a visual roof inspection may generally show everything is in order, just a small crack in caulking around the roof vents may produce problems months later. This becomes evident when spring showers arrive and you notice discoloration on the ceilings in your house. That’s when you realize you have a leaky roof. As you can see, even the smallest areas on the roof could easily be missed when there has been actual damage.
Get Professional Inspections and Quick Repairs
It’s no secret that Mother Nature can reduce the expected lifespan of all roofing materials. But making repairs as soon as possible will ensure the longest lifespan of your roof.
When you notice damage during a visual inspection, you need to get it repaired immediately to prevent further damage. If you think there might be damage but are not sure, contact Roof Authority for an inspection and consultation. If we find damage, generally we can repair it that same day or soon thereafter.
Contact Roof Authority
Professional roof inspections are easy to ignore. If your roof is 10 years old or more, call us for a professional inspection and analysis. We can spot potential problems and fix them long before they will be noticeable to you. Roof Authority offers a complete array of roofing solutions. We are experienced in various types of residential and commercial roof repairs in metro Atlanta. Contact us today for a professional roof inspection or quote for new roofing or repairs.